Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Card that Gives Hope

As this semester is almost coming to an end (thank God for that), hell week arrives (I take back what I said). When hell week arrives, one will find him or herself being tormented by their inhuman instructors who bury them with endless assignments, quizzes and second midterms. Giving massive assignments and quizzes isn't such a bad thing, the worst part is most of the assignments and midterms are due on the same day which makes it very inconvenient for students seeing that they will not be able to prepare for their midterms and complete their assignment properly. Like everyone else in this university, I'm also suffering from this hell week and because of that, I often feel depressed and stressed. Nevertheless, as I received a mail yesterday from the people who I care a lot, I felt much better and less depressed.

This whole week has been very stressful for me. Just 2 days ago (Monday), my instructors announced that there will be several midterm exams on the following week on the same day and the due date of my assignment will be a day after my midterms. To make matter worst, one of my instructor informed the class that there will be a Pre Calculus quiz this week (which was today) and an Economics midterm this Friday. Looking at my task for the week which tells me that I'm going to get buried with study hours and assignments, I started to feel shaky.

Knowing that I need to do well for my exams, I forced myself to study. Ever since then, I started waking up earlier than usual just to study and I even skipped several classes in order to spend more time with my midterm exams subjects. Procrastination was a usual problem which I feared the most, nevertheless as I reminded myself the unforgiving consequences of procrastinating my study hours, I manage to deal with that. However, it seems difficult to concentrate during my study session as my head is occupied with worries and I'm easily distracted. Because of that, I have to review my text repeatedly in order to remember and understand what I studied. This waste most of my time and as a result I often feel frustrated with myself since I realize that I'm not getting the most out of my study hours. When frustration strikes, depression follows in which never fails to make me feel awful. Consequently, I start to doubt that I'll even pass this semester.

Just yesterday, as I was getting ready for my computer class, my roommate approached me. He told me that someone send me a letter. Thinking that it could be from the phone company or bank, I thought about discarding the letter but the moment my roommate passed me this pink envelope with Malaysian stamps on it, I knew it was from someone I know. I than wondered who would even go through all the trouble sending me a letter. The moment I opened the envelope, I was surprised to find a Chinese New Year greeting card.

I then started to wonder which idiot would send me a Chinese New Year card in the middle of March. After checking the sender of the nice card, I felt touched as it was from the Lee sisters, my good friends from the Strike Team.I know that the Lee sisters weren't that dumb to send me a Chinese New Year card in the middle of this month. I guess the reason behind the late delivery of their mail was because I gave them the wrong postcode which makes me that dumb person. My roommates and I laughed together as we read the content of the card together and I felt so touched that I found it difficult to restrain myself from crying. The moment I ended reading the card, my stress and my depression went away as I felt joyful which made me felt much better...just when I need it the most.

It really feels good to get something from someone you really care regardless of how expensive or cheap the gift is as it shows that they still care for you and their always hoping the best for you. Ever since I got that card, I've been keeping it close to me as I find it very valuable to me. Lee Chai Ann and Lee Soo Ann, thanks a lot for the card. I'll study harder and I won't disappoint you girls.

No comments: