Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Missed My Chance to Enter the Circle of The Best

Put yourself in this scenario: You're a hardworking corporate worker and your dedication to your company is totally unquestionable. Your contribution is the reason why that company is listed in the fortune 500, however it is often unnoticed. Then one day, somehow someone recommends to the "big boys" that you should be CEO instead of Project Manager of this corporation. An interview is set and your opportunity to grab the CEO's chair is guaranteed as long as you attend this interview. The only thing is that no one told you about that interview, heck even no one informed you're being promoted. Eventually, you missed the interview and your $25,000 monthly salary together with your own executive suite crumble in pieces. The minute you found out... You know how it feels right? Well, that exactly happened to me in my Muay Thai class. I missed out on the golden opportunity to join the "big boys".

A couple of minutes before my Muay Thai class started, I was torturing the tall punching bag with my shin kicks, front kicks, back kicks and knee attack. I noticed some of the other students watched me beat the crap out of the punching bag and I thought they were trying to learn something from me. As delighted I am since I'm being noticed, yet I wasn't really bothered with the attention from the students because I was busy trying to perfect my kicks and my knee attacks. I continued kicking the bag until Kru came in; the moment he saw me, he came charging at me. Oh no, what did I do to him? He was approaching me with fury and I had a split second to decide whether I should throw my solid shin kicks at him or fall at his mercy. Oh my God! How can I even thought about kicking my Kru? After all he taught me, it would be very ungrateful and rebellious to do that. Consequently, I decided to fall at his mercy.

As he was closed enough, he threw his palms on my shoulder and screamed, "Shenji! What were you thinking?". For that moment, I felt petrified; it was like staring at the eyes of Satan who's ready to keep you forever in Hell. I then wondered, what did I do to trigger such wrath from my Kru? Did I behave unmannerly towards his 12 years old daughter without noticing it? Ewww no way! What exactly did I do? Think dammit, think! Kru then continued, "Where were you when I tried to call you?" . "Err...somewhere in Malaysia", I answered in a terrified manner almost wetting myself. Kru then gave me this ridiculous stare in response to my pathetic reply. "Anyway, you just missed the certification course, last week." he continued. I looked back at him in total confusion, "Cremation?" I asked, "Err...who died Kru?". "Certification! Not cremation, you idiot! The process that promotes you to a higher phase in my class" Kru replied in a breathless manner. "Oh that! Of course...Wait a minute? Did you just said that I missed it?" I screamed in panic while grabbing Kru by the collar. "Did you just said that I missed the opportunity to enter the highest phase of Muay Thai? " I continued. This time the table turned around and Kru himself was the terrified party now.

Nodding his head, Kru answered, "Yeah, you did. You didn't showed up at all for class last week so we tried contacting but there was no response. So it was impossible to informed you that you were chosen for the certification. I'm sorry, Shenji." I then looked down in disbelief and I started to feel sad. My sorrow the turned into anger for myself, specifically for my stupidity. How can I skip Muay Thai for a week and miss something important like the certification. The reason I skipped Muay Thai for a week was because my old friends from college asked me out for movies and dinner at different days of that week. I don't blame my friends for that, I just blame my unfortunate luck. "Hey buddy, don't feel bad." comforted one of the other students who was in the similar phase as mine. "At least you were selected to join the ranks of the best. You should be proud of that" he continued. Another one then approached me, "Yeah. Besides we need someone as good as you to represent the Phase 2 students to spar against those Phase 3 students". After several words of comfort from my classmates, I felt better and I realized that there's always next time. As the instructor informed that lessons have begin, all of us got ready to begin our class for the day.

I missed out on the golden opportunity to join the "big boys". Conversely, I felt good knowing that I was one of the handful who was given the opportunity to join. Anyway, with me still in my current phase, I've got lots of time to improve myself and maybe show those Phase 3 guys that I got what it takes to out do them.

No comments: