Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Book that is Worth Robbing For

Another visit to 1 Utama's MPH today and I came across something interesting at the military section. I didn't even know MPH had a military archive like Kinokuniya, but anyway it's good for me that they have . I happened to spot a fascinating book called Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills written by Mark Spicer. I was hyped and excited about the cover of the book, it became more exciting for me when I turned the book around to get a glance at the blurb. The book's blurb states that the Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills is an essential manual for military and police snipers. Oh my Lord, just what I wanted to add in my military knowledge. The blurb then continued stating that this book includes details on training, camouflage and concealment, stalking and shooting techniques. It also describes anti-personnel and anti-material shot placements not to mention several highlights on counter-sniper techniques. My day couldn't be better when I discovered this book.

But when I checked out the price , to my horror I know it was way beyond my spending budget for a book. It was RM83.25; that's a rather expensive price to learn how to shoot people from a far---I mean, to learn how snipers work at a detail level. Somehow, my pocket felt so empty despite there's a wallet in it every time I look at the price. I then wondered how am I going to leave MPH with this valuable yet expensive information I have in my hand. Paying for it would be definitely out of the question, it's RM83.25 for God's sake, therefore stealing it would be the plan.

I then conducted a quick recon around the bookstore to asses MPH's security level. To my unfortunate luck, security was tight; the complex was rigged with security cameras, anti-theft sensors and security agents.Basically, this place was like Fort Knox. If only I had my EMP and my smoke grenades along with me, no doubt I'll make a stylish get away. I began to check the windows around the bookstore to see whether they were lock. If they weren't, I thought about making a stealthy escape through the windows. Unfortunately again, they were all locked. Not to mention, MPH is located at the top floor of 1 Utama; even if I manage to escape through the windows, the height of the building will present another challenge for me. Falling down won't kill me and that's the shitty part. It'll just turn me into a permanent vegetable. The odds were against me but I knew I had to get this book at the end of the day. As I became desperate, I thought about resorting to my final alternative: conduct a stick up on MPH.

How was I going to do that? I had no weapons with me and even if I did manage to rob the entire book store, those damn security cameras would have taken a picture of my face. The second the bulb on my head flash, a small video of ideas then played in my head. I saw myself removing my t-shirt and then having it tied around my face like a ninja's mask. Some of the nearby customers felt awkward as they witnessed what I did. However, their sense of awkward then transformed into a feeling of fear as they saw me send the metallic trash cylinder through one of the bookstore's windows. Pieces of glasses were scattered on the floor and everyone was trying to flee for their life. I picked up the biggest piece of the shattered glasses and went around the bookstore swinging the glass violently while informing everyone that this is a stick up. The security cameras were focused on me but I couldn't care as I had my face masked. Later on, two security agents charged at me with their wooden baton and I knew it was going to be trouble if they gang up on me. Consequently, I took one of the customer as my human shield and I threatened the cops-for-rent that I would stuck this piece of glass up my hostage's ass if they come any closer. My human shield who was shrieking and crying in fear then persuaded the security agents to comply with my demands. As they dropped their baton and hit the ground with their hands on their head, I knew I had the situation under control. However all of a sudden, the cashier at the counter hit a security button which had the entire book store sealed. The steel shutters of the bookstore sealed the entrance on both floors of MPH. Damn it, if only my hands weren't full for that moment, I would have skin that damn cashier with my shattered glass.As I threw my human shield to the ground, I warned everyone who was trapped in the book store not to move a muscle. After collecting the batons from those cops-for-rent, I headed for the cashier getting eager to lay the smack down on that idiot who foiled my getaway. On my way to the counter, I stuck my big piece of shatter glass into the baton. The terrified cashier who saw me customized the baton then begin to cried for her life. Those tears ain't gonna save her now, she shouldn't have push the goddamn button. I grabbed the cashier by her tudung and as I was about to crash the club into that pretty face of hers, I heard the police sirens blaring outside from the windows. Damn it, the cops were here. I decided to spare the cashier's life as I wanted to asses the size of the "calvary" which were send. I walked to the windows of the bookstore before I looked down and to my horror, I saw a platoon of cops. There were a dozens of police cars outside and there were lots of police men aiming their guns up at the windows of the book store. Oh my God! What have I got myself into?

A second later, a couple of gas canister were launched into the bookstore before forcing everyone to choke and gasp for air. A rappelling SWAT team then crashed into the building and one of them struck me hard with their boots on the way in. I flew and crashed into a shelves of book groaning in pain. The intruding SWAT team warned everyone to stay down as they were securing the bookstore through the smoky environment. My strong urge to avoid ending up in jail forced me to fought back; I reached for my baton before picking myself up. As I charged at the "big guns" with a war cry, I noticed several laser dots appeared on my chest. The SWAT team opened fire and the next thing I knew, I was lying still on the ground in pain before I gave into death. Wait a minute, did I just died trying to rob a bookstore just for a book? Geez, what a nerd am I! The minute I saw myself dead, my video of ideas which was playing in my head rewinded itself to the beginning of the part where I was still holding the book I wanted badly. I then told myself to accept the fact that I won't be able to afford this book.

Before I place the book back into the shelf, I saw my mum entering the bookstore. As she approached me, she saw me holding the book I was dying for. She then asked me what was I reading and immediately, I passed her the book. After browsing the book carefully, my mum then asked me whether I wanted the book or not. Of course I said yes and the next thing I knew, she took the book and lined up at the cashier getting ready to pay. I felt so stupid thinking about stealing and even robbing the place just to get that expensive book. I could have save my strength by asking my mum whether she can buy me the book instead of coming up with plans to rob MPH. As we left MPH, I knew I got what I wanted so badly without risking my life getting shot by the cops.

My day couldn't be better when I discovered this book. I immediately unwrapped the book and started reading while walking back to the car park at 1 Utama. On my way back, I passed by a video game store which had a Play Station 3 on display. I paused myself for a while looking at the third generation console in amaze. The price card next to the machine which stated RM2400 told me that it was obvious I couldn't afford Sony's state of the art console. Consequently, I realize that obtaining the Play Station 3 without paying was the only alternative. And so my video of ideas played in my head...again.

No comments: