Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Farewell Dinner for My Comrades

The elite members of the W.I. 106th Regiment (well not all of them though...). One bloody great reunion. It's such a waste we're not reuniting for Mr. Moaz's special operations.

Jacqui, my comrade who served with me in the regiment a year ago decided to held a farewell dinner for another comrades of ours. Initially the dinner was held for James since he was leaving for Vancouver, Canada soon but when Jacqui received additional intel stating that Faye would be serving in Canada too just a few days slightly later than James, Jacqui decided to organize a farewell dinner dedicated to both Faye and James. The farewell dinner was held two days ago in Piccolo Mondo located in Mid Valley Megamall. Jacqui did a great job as she managed to get many people to attend the dinner who mostly consisted of those who served in the W.I. 106th Regiment. Although it was officially declared a farewell dinner for both James and Faye, the fact that most of the guys from the regiment who were here made this gathering looked not only like a farewell dinner but also a reunion party for the regiment.

The dinner started at 7:30pm; however, I reached Mid Valley slightly later due to the massive jam that took place around that area in the evening. As I was dashing to the Italian restaurant hoping that I will not delay the regiment any further, a slight sense of nervousness struck me as I knew I was about to reunite with my good comrades. The moment I entered the restaurant that nervousness than turned into shyness for some mysterious reason, forcing me to immediately find an empty seat. As I spotted one next to Soo Tian, I immediately go for that chair after greeting him. Just opposite of me was an unfamiliar face initially, but when I took a better look of her I knew I saw her before in Taylors College once. Her name was Christine but I clearly knew she wasn't from the regiment. I guess most probably she was James' girlfriend seeing that she was next to James talking happily with him. As I saw James, I began to smile and greeted him before staring a casual conversation with him asking how is he and whether is he ready to leave for Canada. Soo Tian with curiosity and his friendliness then asked me how was I doing in Canada and the same old story about me struggling for the first semester but kicking ass in the Summer semester came out from my mouth as I replied. I then noticed Peter and his girlfriend Lianne who was sitting in the similar row. I wished them both hi before changing place just to get closer to them. Peter served in the regiment like the other and as for Lianne on the other hand, she didn't. Despite that, I knew Lianne from ninjutsu class as the girl who's often being irritated by Peter. Actually I knew her earlier before Peter, in a ninjutsu intensive class 2 years ago. She's a nice girl since she's very approachable and friendly. Before beginning my casual conversation with the love birds, the other Christine ( the oldest among all of us yet her looks masquerade her actual age forcing people to think she's the youngest) handed me Faye's farewell card asking me to write something nice.

After scribbling something sweet on the card which hopefully will make her say "Awww...that's so sweet, Shenji", I began my casual conversation with both Peter and Lianne. Knowing that they're doing great in their Taylors Tourism School, I felt proud and happy for them. The other Christine ( the one who handed me Faye's card) began asking me how was I and everything, and just like what I told Soo Tian, I told Christine the similar story about me struggling in the first semester but kicking ass in the next one. Christine then asked me about my friends in Canada and the moment I told her that I had no time for friends over there since I was occupied with work most of the time, Christine couldn't help but to feel surprised. I couldn't really blame her though; a guy like me having loads of friends over here in Malaysia but almost none over there would look awkward. A few minutes later, our other star for the night arrived, it was Faye with her boyfriend. After trading "hi"s with her, the dinner began with everyone ordering their food.

My comrades had a massive appetite that night. They were ordering plates of pasta and wooden dishes of pizza filling themselves up like as if it was their final dinner. As for me I just had a plate of Pasta Arrabiata. In the middle of my dinner, Faye and her boyfriend were attracted to the ink work on my left shoulder. They complimented my tattoo and asked several questions about the process of doing the tattoo. After their Q&A session, Faye said that I buffed up and I look good. I blushed that moment and I felt like as if I was on ecstasy hearing rows of compliments from a girl as it is very very rare that anyone praise me, especially a girl. So rare like the golden ticket in Willy Wonka's chocolate bar. Faye then asked me whether have I been working out but I just told her that I put on a bit of weight instead of telling her the truth as I was trying to be humble. That night, my self esteem rose and I felt so much better.

After finishing our dinner, we snapped some photos. Some of us brought our digital camera so we were busy asking each other around to help us snap a picture. Few minutes before we left, we asked one of the waiter to help us take a group photo. I really felt bad for the waiter as he had his work interrupted trying to please his customers by taking their group photo. But when I remembered that we were gonna pay for the service tax when the bill arrive, I told myself what the hell, he should be taking our photos with pleasure. Consequently, I told others to give their cameras to the waiter who was assigned to take our group photos. We paid for the bill after our group photo shooting before we ended the dinner. We wished all the best to our comrades,Faye and James hoping that they will have a pleasant tour of duty in Canada.

Although it was officially declared a farewell dinner for both James and Faye, the fact that most of the guys from the regiment were here made this gathering looked not only like a farewell dinner but also a reunion party for the regiment. It reminded me of the one Jacqui held for me a year ago just a couple of weeks before I left for Canada. Like me, James and Faye's time came and it was really my pleasure and honor to attend their farewell dinner. After all, I owe the regiment greatly for their support and their friendship which greatly effected my life when we were all still serving together. I wouldn't miss any of their gathering for the world.

The hungry regiment getting ready for dinner to be served.

Faye, Christine ( James' girlfriend I think...Loved her shirt with the words "Sun your Buns") and James.

The girls of the regiment (not all of them though). The guys were expected to have an all guy photo shoot, but we think it's too gay.

Me (on top), Lianne (from the left) and Peter.

(From left to right) Soo Tian, me and Jacqui

Me (on top), James (left) and Jojo (right)

8 comments:

Comrade Red said...

That's very bold of you to say that she's my girlfriend...luckily you didn't mention the chocolate shake incident...and you forgot to sign my card! Or did you intentionally forget?

Anonymous said...

Oh no... I thought I counted enough signatures on each card =/

Btw, who spilt the milkshake ah? I saw it happening but was too far away to busybody =p

Lim Shenji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lim Shenji said...

{James}So she's not your girlfriend. That's why I stated "I think". Anyway, I'm so sorry about that. About that card of yours, I must have forgotten about i and for that I'm sorry. Oh yeah just to let you know, it wasn't intentional.Anyway sorry for all of that, buddy.

Comrade Red said...

I spilt that shake..I was talking about vivien..I mean Villain and got carried away with the sound effects

Comrade Red said...

I spilt that shake..I was talking about vivien..I mean Villain and got carried away with the sound effects

Comrade Red said...

Thats ok Shenji...don't need to crack your head for many nights thinking about it

Anonymous said...

hey~pls help us to take care of summer ya hehe^^
ps://wow jojo's friend