Monday, August 6, 2007

The Good Old Days with Rainbow Six 3


It just so happened that I bumped into the trailer of my all time favorite Play Station 2 game, Rainbow Six 3 on the YouTube website. The 3 minutes 44 seconds trailer that was actually the intro movie of the game reminded me those great days I had playing the game. From saving lives at gun point range and defusing bombs seconds away from detonation to listening the touching and patriotic speeches of the American President supporting the "Man of Black", it made my eyes watery as I remember those thoughtful days.

So what exactly is Rainbow Six 3, you ask? It is a tactical first person shooter game where the players lead a 4 man commando group mostly into hostage rescue missions. Rainbow Six 3 is one of the Rainbow Six series created by retired Air Force soldier, Tom Clancy. Rainbow Six according to Tom Clancy, is a fictional multinational counter-terrorist organization which consist of Special Forces operatives from different countries. The organization is spear headed by John Clark and its headquarter is located in Hereford, United Kingdom.

How does Rainbow Six 3 works and why do I treat this game like a hot sexy chi 'ca? Players will have to emphasis on strategies and tactics throughout the game in order to succeed in the mission. Plain brainless run-and-gun tactics as well as the 100-shots-to-die game play are absent from this game seeing that it is a tactical simulation that highly depicts actual Special Forces and counter-terrorist missions. That is what I love about this game; it brings me closer to my fanatical Special Forces interest. Another thing great about this game is that the weapon recoil forces the player to control his/her firing rate instead of going trigger happy like doochebag apart from the wide variety of weapons and equipment used in the Special Forces. Besides that, the essentials on team commands in order to execute the mission successfully teaches the player that there is no "I" in "team" but there is "I" in "die". The well choreographed but not so great graphical cut scenes before every mission give you a brief idea on what is the situation so that you won't feel like a confused donkey on what's going on. Although there are usually briefing sessions to help you understand the mission scenario, the cut scenes helps the players understand more. Oh yeah one more thing I love about this game is what happens when you or your teammate die during the mission. Now I know what kind of stupid reason is that to love a game but just hear me out before you decide to hit me with your shoe the next time you see me or flame me in the comment box. You see, when you or your teammate is killed during the mission, there will be this Rainbow Six theme in a guitar form which will be played. The death theme is just so touching which makes you feel like you're watching the memorable shower room scene from Michael Bay's The Rock. Practically, this is how Rainbow Six 3 works and why I love the game so much.

No matter how great a game is, there's always some flaws. After all, nothing is perfect right? So what is it that I hate most...ah I mean that could be improved, you ask? Well first of all, the opening of Rainbow Six 3 showed us the cool fast roping scene, yet there were no fast roping action in the missions at all. If only the game had fast roping scenes in it, the game would have been much better. Another thing I realized about the game was there is only one insertion point for every mission. Since Rainbow Six is a Special Forces simulation, the game creators should assigned multiple insertion points for the players in order to promote the Special Forces environment and increase the replay value of the game. The stealth missions where players have to sneak into the enemy compound and plant bugs by him/herself instead with a team can be frustrating. The enemies somehow have spidey sense with them and they can easily sense where you are. Oh yeah, did I mention that once you're caught, it's game over? Well, now that I said it, you can just imagine how frustrating the stealth missions are. Lastly, the graphics of the game are not top notch. Although, it is understandable that it was impossible to achieve graphics similar to Rainbow Six Vegas due to the Play Station 2's hardware, having good graphics like Rainbow Six Lockdown was quite possible which Rainbow Six 3 didn't have. Basically, that were a couple of things that pissed me...ah I mean could be improved.

Talking and reviewing about the game really reminded me of those great days playing Rainbow Six 3. Rainbow Six 3's solid game play and great storyline makes players especially Special Forces freaks like me to display this game behind luxurious glass cabinets. Despite the game had several flaws, nevertheless the game is hardly tainted. I give this game a 9 out of 10. Come to think about it, I might replay the game again. It's not only because of the solid game play and experience but also because I didn't bother about the story line when I first played 4 years ago. Seeing that how mature I am now (ahem), I might replay the game to understand the political twisted storyline. Maybe I can write more ICPU stories later on; afterall, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six stories are the main inspiration behind my fictional stories. Before, you leave my blog, be sure to watch the trailer of Rainbow Six 3. That's an order, soldier!

A Rainbow operative offers covering fire for his advancing teammate. Now that is what I call tactical.

The shower room scene in the game. It truly reminds me of the shower room scene from Michael Bay's The Rock. This mission takes place in Alcatraz prison when the team infiltrates the slammer via the shower room and is surrounded by tangos. Exactly like The Rock except the good guys survive.

No, you're not watching Predator. This is a thermal scope attached to a sniper rifle to point out the tango's position via their heat signature.

Team work:One of your teammates keeps a close eye on the submitted tango and the rest secure the area while you try to cuff the tango.

Rainbow Six 3 trailer. A must watch



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just doing a Google search for images from this game because I was feeling nostalgic when I came across your site.

This was, and still is, my all time favorite shooter. I did however play mine on the Xbox and Xbox Live. My best memories are from this time and this game.

So it looks like you and I share the same love for this game whether it be for the Xbox or Playstation 2.

Anonymous said...

My most fond memories were playing this game on Xbox live.

I played this game endlessly with countless different people. It was the only game I really played for 3 years straight. It took me through some rough times.

No other game has ever done what Rainbowsix3 did for me.
I can still recall all the multiplayer maps from the top of my head.