Saturday, September 15, 2007

One Crazy Party

Ever since the beginning of my fall semester in Thompson Rivers University, I hardly go out for any parties or social gatherings. The only moment I get out from my room is when I need to do some grocery shopping or when there's a new interesting movie to catch in the cinema. However just recently, I somehow ended up attending another booze gathering . Surprisingly, the gathering was somehow fun and I kind of enjoyed myself back then.

I managed to meet up with my Japanese friend Maaya. She realized that it has been a while since we last saw each other and because of that, she thought about inviting me out for a drink with her and her friends. Seeing that I'm not really in the mood to socialize and make new friends (as I really had some bad experience with my international friends last semester), I told her that I would consider her generous invitation just to be nice when in truth, I decided not to go. Four days ago, when I was on my way to the main campus for my Maths class, I bumped into Maaya's friend, Cindy. She's a cute girl from Hong Kong (but older than me by 4 years) and I saw her from one booze party which I got drunk (that's another reason why I didn't wanted to go out for a drink with Maaya). According to Maaya and some of my international friends, she was the girl, I tried to attacked when I was drunk. I didn't really expected her to say hi to me ever since that incident as I thought she would have been afraid of me. Shocked and slightly stunned for a moment when she smiled and said "hi" to me, I replied her greeting in a stammering manner. She asked me if I still remembered her and for that split second I was considering about lying or not as I feared if I said yes, she would replied, "Good, now die you abusive drunken motherfxxker!" before drawing out a knife (or maybe a pen) and stabbing me right between the eyes for her redemption at the booze party. Knowing that I would make things worst if I lied, therefore, I honestly replied telling her that I remembered her. Her heart melting smile informed me that she was happy as I remembered her which was a mystery to me because as far as I know, I never talked to her before and the only form of interaction that would allow her to know me was the moment I tried to attack her when I was drunk ( which I'm sure wasn't pleasant for her...unless she prefer to be attacked...ooh kinky). Cindy then tried to start a friendly conversation with me, however I had to stopped her as I was late for class. I apologized to her after explaining that I was late for class but before we said good bye and departed, I asked her for her room number (she was staying in the same residence as I am). For that split second, I knew it was a stupid move to ask for her room number since I thought I could be giving her a wrong impression of myself. I wanted to go back in time to undo what I did but it was just impossible unless I had a time machine. Conversely, she told me her room number and even her extension number without feeling reluctant. So, that wasn't really a bad move. After waving good bye to her, I strolled off to my class feeling happy for some unknown reason.

A night before the booze gathering, I saw Maaya online. Grateful to see her, I immediately asked her for Cindy's Windows Messenger's e-mail. Feeling suspicious, Maaya then "questioned" my sudden request for Cindy's e-mail ( probably you guys might be wondering too...). So I replied "innocently" saying that I thought about talking to Cindy to make up for the time when I couldn't talk to her because of my classes. Eventually, Maaya gave me her e-mail address and I added Cindy on my Messenger list. Too bad for me, she wasn't online at that moment nevertheless, I kept my computer running while I occupied myself with some books to read. A couple of minutes later, I heard the "sign in" tone from the Messenger. Thinking that it could be my frequent friends who often disconnect and reconnect their Messenger due to some connection problem, I didn't bother to check out who just signed in. My computer then channeled in the incoming message "tone" and I knew someone was trying to talk to me; to my pleasant surprise, it was Cindy. Initially she didn't know it was me seeing that she wasn't familiar with the user's e-mail that added her. I told her it was me and from then on, we started our casual conversation online. Talking to her was fun as we offered each other the opportunity to know one another better. We shared some stuff in common like video games, our interest in social science and the best of all; both of us are Muay Thai practitioners. It was also a great opportunity to show her that I'm not the drunken monster she met at the booze party 4 months ago. As it was getting late, I thought about ending our great conversation but before I did that, I asked her whether is she attending Maaya's gathering tomorrow. As she said "yes", she returned the same question and of course I said "yes" too when in truth I told myself that I didn't want to go initially. Knowing that Cindy was going for Maaya's gathering, I immediately messaged Maaya who was still online telling her that I'll be going for the party.

The next night, I prepared myself for the gathering. Although I was looking forward to the gathering, a sense of nervousness struck me. It wasn't mysterious to me as I realized that it's been a while since I went out to meet people. Consequently, I asked my roommate Robin (who's also Maaya's friend) to accompany me to the gathering. Fortunately for me, Robin agreed to accompany me after I persuaded him a couple of times. Like me, Robin isn't very fond of meeting new people. We met Maya and Cindy at the lobby of our residence apartment. After trading greetings and introducing Robin to Cindy, we headed for Heroes Pub, a university owned pub just a stone's throw from our residence apartment. As we reached the pathways to the pub, we were welcomed by the sight of the long cue to enter the pub. To make matter worst, we were greeted by Maaya's friends whom turned out to be a bunch of show off "pretty boys" from Taiwan. Just my luck!

I wasn't really fond of hanging out with Taiwanese guys. The last Taiwanese guy I knew pissed me off. I still remember that dreadful day when this prick gave me this impression that made me look ridiculous when he found out that I'm a Chinese who's unable to speak any word of Chinese. He even told me to get "help" as if I was a terminally ill patient. What a dick head! I never thought that I would get the same shit from my Malaysian Chinese educated friends over here in Canada. Unfortunately for me, this Taiwanese guy who I was introduced to had a similar impression of me but he didn't suggested me to seek "help". The Taiwanese guy that I just knew had his friends with him; they were all those rich and spoiled "pretty boys". I didn't really like most of them seeing that they were practically showing off how cool or how muscular they were. Nevertheless, there were one or two nice ones who were friendly and humble. It was great knowing the nice ones of course. Maaya then introduced me to another friend of hers from China. Everyone calls him Edison; he's a 3rd year student studying business in TRU. The line was so long and it wasn't moving at all. We were all out here freezing our asses in the night waiting for more than 2 hours to get into the pub. Those Taiwanese pretty boys who were showing off how muscular they were earlier on decided to call it a day as they couldn't stand the cold anymore. They masqueraded their "sissyness" with the excuse of having an urgent affair to attend to. As they left, I chuckled thinking how pathetic those pretty boys were. Edison thought that waiting furthermore would be ridiculous, so he suggested another place to hang out. The next thing we knew, we were at Fox n Hound restaurant which was located in Sahali mall not too far away from our residence.

At the restaurant, we started ordering the beers and chicken wings as a supplementary to our social gathering. We were then join by a returning Taiwanese pretty boy. Out of the 5 pretty boys, he was the only one to return; I didn't really like the fact that he returned but I must say it's better than all of those 5 pretty boys to return and screw the gathering with their annoying behavior. That pretty boy wasn't all that bad when he was down to earth introducing himself to me in a friendly manner. Eric was his name; he's a final year student in TRU taking up courses in Finance and appears to be Edison's good friend. All of us had a great time talking together with beer mugs in one hand while the chicken wings in another. Eric, the Taiwanese guy made a fool out of himself by cracking lame jokes which everyone was pretending to laugh. Nevertheless, all of us amused ourselves looking at that Taiwanese joker embarrassing himself. In the middle of our party, we all decided to have a "toast" for a great night. We slammed our beer mugs against one another and somehow, a small trickle of beer spilled between Maaya's legs at the point of impact. Maaya shrieked and as she fell cold between her legs, but cold wasn't what she only fell as rage accompanied her mind. Being unreasonable, she swing her beer at everyone and the next thing I knew, there was a beer fight. I immediately evacuate myself from the alcoholic "battlefield" before I become a victim of their stupidity. Everyone in the restaurant were looking at them and at the mean time, I took refuge in the men's toilet to hide myself away from the embarrassment those dumb asses caused.

A few minutes later, I returned to our table pretending that I wasn't part of their immature behavior only to find all of them wiping the seats and table with napkins. Eventually we moved to a new table and I sat next to Cindy that night; I then realized that I didn't talk much to her that night. As we looked at each other trying to find something to chat, we just ended smiling at each other instead. It's been a while since I felt damn shy.The silence between the both of us made me feel awkward and for that moment and I just wish I could change seats. I was looking somewhere else trying hide my shyness and dispel that sense of awkwardness but the fact that Cindy kept on looking at me made me feel more awkward. Eventually she initiate a conversation that we both had in common: our Muay Thai lessons. Yes of course, I could have talked to her about Muay Thai since we're both practitioners. The both of us were trading stories regarding our experience in our Muay Thai classes. We went on talking about Muay Thai until we ventured into a related topic that spawned another similar interest of ours: martial arts movies. The both of us were talking about the latest martial art movies we saw and the fight scenes that really amazed us. We even shared a similar favorite martial arts superstar: Donnie Yen from Flashpoint. I didn't really expected the both of us to share a lot in common.

An hour later on, everyone except me ordered more beers. To add in more kick, all of them ordered several shots of vodkas. As for me I just watched them drown themselves with alcohol instead of joining them as I didn't want to experience that dreadful day again. Who knows how many people I will then attack. Eric was drunk and he was constantly swearing and talking rubbish. He insisted that I had more beer which I eventually agreed to since I didn't wanted to waste the jars of beer he ordered. I began to feel kinda tipsy at my 3rd glass of beer and for that moment, I was worried that I might relive that horrible experience again. As everyone chugged themselves with vodka, they were all drunk, including Cindy. Seeing that she was also drunk, I decided to take "advantage" of her. Knowing that drunk people won't spill lies, I decided to find out the truth regarding the night I was drunk a couple of months ago. I asked Cindy whether did I really attacked her and I then waited patiently for her response. Since she was drunk, she took a long time to reply. She was stammering her reply initially but eventually she revealed the truth: I did not attacked her the night I was drunk at that party 4 months ago. Yes! I knew I was a "beast", literally speaking but not that kind of violent savage beast. Maaya and the rest of my jerk off international friends who have been filling my head with lies all this while were trying to make me feel guilty. Well I ain't anymore. I realized that I got more than I wanted at this gathering; I did not only got to know new people but I also managed to find out the truth of what exactly happened at that dreadful night 4 months ago. A couple of hours later, we all decided to call it a day as it was way past bed time. When the bill arrived, everyone stammered in shock as they saw the price; it was $180. Huh, way to go dick heads. This is what you get for chugging yourselves with beer. There were the 6 of us including me and everyone paid more than $60 except me. Since I only had beers and seeing that someone insisted me to finish the beer, I only paid $10. After paying the bill, all of us waited outside the restaurant for a cab.

Everyone was so drunk and we were all fooling around like monkeys. I was so drunk that my roommate, Robin said I dueled Cindy in a match of Muay Thai. Apparently the both of us put on a great show for the rest of them. As the taxi arrived, all of us hopped into the car except for Eric and Edison since they decided to walk home. In the taxi, I was sitting behind in between Maaya and Cindy. Robin who was sitting in front of the taxi started a joke and I finished it with a "dirty" touch to it. Stuck between 2 girls with hand bags isn't always a good thing...not when you crack a dirty joke which caused you to get bashed in the middle. The second we reached our residence apartment, we went our separate ways after wishing each other good night.

Surprisingly, the gathering was somehow fun and I kind of enjoyed myself back then. That night, I had a good night sleep and I was fortunate enough to wake up just in time for my Maths class. As for my roommate, Robin, he slept all the way through and he missed his first class the next day.



p/s: No pictures of our party were taken as everyone were too drunk to hold the camera.

No comments: