Friday, September 14, 2007

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (the Movie)


Just a couple of days ago, I thought about watching one of my friend's anime movies for a change to kill time. Usually, I'm not a big fan of anime series or movies but seeing how bored I was that day, I was desperate to watch something. So I thought about watching some of my friend's collection of Japanese cartoons. I didn't really watched everyone of them as I only picked those that seem interesting to me. A cool robotic picture on one of my friend's DVD casing prompted my interest; it has all these cool looking mechas so I decided to watch it since it was the coolest looking anime compared to her collection of Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon . The title of the anime was Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. I've heard about it but I never actually watched any of the series before. Although I was skeptical to watch the movie at first seeing that I thought the story line would be just plain simple to allow young audiences to understand the movie, I eventually watched it when my friend informed me that there was some politics and military affairs in it. After 2 hours of the movie, all I can say that the movie was great and it was worth my time.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz takes place After Colony 195 (it's actually a number of a year) when the battles between earth and the colonies ended. As the leader of the Organization of Zodiac (OZ), Treize Krushenada is dead, this prompt the advent of the Earth Sphere Unified Nations and Preventers. Thinking that peace and prosperity would soon reign over the Earth Sphere Unfied Nations for eternity, the Gundams ( huge man controlled combat mobile suits) were send into the sun as they won't be needed anymore. What thought to be a warless and peace rich future turned out to back fire when a rebellion occurs on a newly completed colony called L3 X-18999. The rebellion was led by eight year old Mariemeia Khushrenada, the daughter of Treize Krushenada. Knowing that a New World Order shall be established once the Earth Sphere Unified Nations realize that their important political figures are taken hostage, the rebellion kidnaps Relena Peacecraft the Vice Foreign Minister of the Earth Sphere Unified Nation (ESUN), during a diplomatic mission to X-18999. With thorough investigation conducted, the Gundam pilots discovered that Marimeia is just a mere puppet under the manipulation of Dekin Barton, a former advisor to the Organization of Zodiac (OZ) who is using X-18999 to commence Operation Meteor in case the Earth Sphere Unified Nations doesn't comply. The Gundam pilots must now retrieve their mobile suits which are en route to the sun in order to extinguish the war flames of the rebellion or face another invasion from the Organization of Zodiac.

I never expected this movie to be that good. The story line was really good as the political and military affairs in the movie were cleverly presented. The plot was not only well arranged but the use of flashbacks enforced a better understanding on the history of the Gundam universe for those who never watched the series before. The visual quality of the anime was pretty neat despite it was presented in 2D instead of today's CGI. Besides that, the voice acting of the movie was above average as the dialogs were fully emotional although they were dubbed in English. Overall, this anime movie deserves a two thumbs up and it definitely got me interested in the Gundam universe.

After 2 hours of the movie, all I can say is that the movie was great and it was worth my time. I would definitely recommend you guys to watch this movie however, seeing that it's quite an old movie ( launched in 2000), I wouldn't be surprise if you can't find it in your near by video store. Instead of underestimating the movie thinking that it's some kid's stuff, give it a shot and I'm sure you'll figure out why I find this movie great.


The Gundam pilots in the movie. (From left to right) Heero Yuy, Duo Maxwell, Trowa Barton, Quartro Rarbera Winner and Chang Wu Fei.

The Wing Zero Gundam piloted by Heero Yuy.


Death Scythe Gundam piloted by Duo Maxwell.

Heavy Arms Gundam piloted by Trowa Barton

Sandrock Custom piloted by Quartro

Shenlong Gundam piloted by Chang Wu Fei.

The cute Vice Foreign Minister of the Earth Sphere Unified Nation, Relena Peacecraft


Here's the movie's trailer. Enjoy:


No comments: