Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Swatting


I still remember the bliss which clouded me when my parents got me very own SWAT gear (yes, the same one you saw in my Facebook profile picture) back in secondary school after performing well on my SPM examination. To top it up, they even got me a p Glock 18C pellet pistol to go along with my SWAT outfit when we visited a BB Gun Store in Japan several years ago. Of course back then when I was still young, my mischievousness was almost limitless due to my immature behavior. I still remember pulling a prank on my unsuspecting parents by going "full gear" and arming myself with my pellet pistol before storming violently into my parents bedroom and screaming "Police! Get down on the ground now!". They were scared nearly to death and one of them almost piss themselves wet when I charged in unexpectedly, masked with a black balaclava, dressed in black paramilitary outfit and equipped with a pellet gun that perfectly resembles the real one; talk a bout how effective the element of surprise is. The prank was not only extremely humorous but also very exhilarating as I was given the opportunity to get a "taste" of my dream career (and boy, I love that taste). Of course, my naughtiness did not go unpunished when I got a fierce lecture from my mum regarding my immature behavior that got my dad's high blood pressure climbing and later ended with my SWAT gear and my pellet gun confiscated for almost a month. Knowing that the SWAT prank I made was seriously bad, I thought that was the worst prank I've ever did in my life but I was proven wrong today when I noticed that there were worst versions of the SWAT prank out there.

During one of my video search on SWAT teams in YouTube today, I came across a special video in a form of an American news clip that highlighted a new type of dangerous prank called "swatting". This prank involves making a false call to the police with fake reports of hostage taking or any serious crime reports that will later force the police to dispatch a SWAT team at the residence of the prank's victim. Such prank can be extremely deadly as the victim armed with a weapon for defensive purposes getting ready to confront what thought to be a robber or thief, only to realize that it is a team of highly equipped SWAT officers, can be killed. According to the FBI, "swatting" is not only restricted to the use of telephones but also computers that are capable of hiding the caller's ID.There were several recent cases about this deadly prank in America.

An innocent couple from Salinas in America came face to face with their local SWAT team who were pointing their assault rifles at them. The prank call which the Salina police department responded to was actually made thousands of miles away. According to the 911 operator who received the call, three armed gunmen with AK 47s tried to break into the residential complex in Salinas. The SWAT team were sent to the scene of the reported crime only to find out it was a prank call.

A couple of years ago in Alvarado of Johnson County, the victim of a bogus 911 call, Jim Proulx was apprehended by a SWAT team at his own home. He was cuffed and dragged into a squad car immediately after the SWAT team confronted him. The SWAT officers were informed by the 911 operator that Proulx was armed with an AK 47 rifle, getting ready to kill his hostages if he's demand for $50,000 and a transportation to Mexico was not adhered. After the SWAT team conducted a thorough search which lasted 4 hours, they concluded it was all a hoax. Eventually, the traces of the hoax led to Stuart Rosoff and 5 of his accomplices who called the police and misled them by modifying the caller's ID making the police think that Proulx was the one who made the call. Stuart Rosoff and his accomplices pleaded guilty to the conspiracy.

Knowing that the SWAT prank I made was seriously bad, I thought that was the worst prank I've did in my life but I was proven wrong today when I noticed that there were worst versions of the SWAT prank out there. Anyway, my parents ought to be grateful that their son did not resort to such a prank on them. At the same time, I should also be grateful that I wasn't dumb enough to think about calling up the police and telling them that my dad wasted a clip of M-16 on my mum for telling my dad to cut down on his smoking and alcohol consumption. I just couldn't imagine the consequences of having a Malaysian SWAT team breaking into my house to neutralize the situation. Unlike the SWAT teams in America, the SWAT teams in Malaysia are trained in a different nature which permits them to shoot first and apprehend the suspects later (that is if the suspects are lucky enough to be alive). I wouldn't want to tell my dad lying paralyzed in a hospital for catching a bullet in his spine, that my prank was the root of his unlucky fate.

2 comments:

Comrade Red said...

Malaysia also got SWAT team ah? Probably funded by the politician bribes

Lim Shenji said...

Yeap, its called Pasukan Gerakan Khas. It is THE BEST SWAT TEAM IN THE WORLD! I'm not kidding. The training standards for our SWAT team is equivalent to the U.S Navy SEALs which also comprise HALO training (High Altitude Low Opening) and underwater combat exercises. Not to mention, our SWAT team is even knowledgeable in jungle warfare seeing that its predecessor, the VAT 69 (Very Able Troops) fought the communists in the jungles of Malaya during the communist insurgency. I'm not so sure whether are they funded by politician's bribe or not but ever since the case where UTK members (also a PGK branch) were involved with the murder of a Mongolian lady last year, I'm thinking you could be right. But anyway with the UTK scandals aside, our country's SWAT team is still the best. Remember that! MALAYSIA BOLEH!